Crewe & Nantwich Labour Party are excited to announce that our candidate to stand in the upcoming Cheshire East Council by-election for the Crewe East Ward will be local campaigner, party activist and ward resident Joy Bratherton.
The vacancy follows the retirement of Labour councillor David Newton who has represented the ward since 2011.
The Crewe East Ward is the largest ward not only in Crewe but in the whole of Cheshire East. It includes Coppenhall, Maw Green, Sydney, MMU, the Retail Park and Crewe Gates Industrial Estate amongst other notable parts of Crewe. The ward is represented by 3 councillors with the 2 current sitting councillors being Suzanne Brookfield and Clair Chapman.
Below is Joy’s statement, expect to see us on your doorstep in the coming weeks if you live in the ward. The date of the election is Thursday 5th October. The deadline for registering to vote is 20th September. You can register to vote here.
Joy Bratherton for Crewe East, Hard Working Campaigner & Activist
My name is Joy Bratherton. I am your Labour Party Candidate for the Crewe East by-election, my record of public service has spanned over 35-years, I have represented the people of Crewe & Nantwich as a Borough Councillor and as a member of Crewe Town Council. I have lived in the Crewe East ward for over 25-years and have witnessed at first hand the negative effects of over development and under investment in the area.
I believe that it is essential that we listen to the needs and wishes of our neighbourhoods. Campaigning on the streets matters – having voted for Jeremy Corbyn twice I have been inspired by his way of doing things – meeting the people and listening to our communities!
- Provide greater investment in child and adolescent mental health services in schools.
- Promote strong measures to prevent anti-social behaviour in the Ward.
- Press Cheshire East Council to re-introduce Local Transport Forums and seek initiative solutions to local transport problems, particularly proposed cuts to bus services.
- Participate in ongoing discussions with Cheshire East and local businesses to improve parking problems in the Ward.
- Perpetuate the excellent work undertaken by the Women’s Group under my leadership to provide female hygiene monthly to local food banks and other organisations.
Endorsement From Retired Councillor David Newton
I have known Joy for a long time and admire her energy and commitment to the Labour Party. I know she will work hard for the residents of Crewe East with knowledge and empathy, and I am sure Cheshire East Council will now know what has hit it when the Joy Bratherton whirlwind comes along!
40 Greenway, Crewe, CW1 4JN
T: 01270 584019 – M: 07545 561914
E: [email protected]